Thursday 3 May 2012

Rumba in the Zumba


To improve and widen my search for Miss. Right I went to a zumba class tonight to meet girls!  Yes, that’s right: ZUMBA!  *queue Shakira and “Hips don’t lie”*  A friend goes to zumba every week and invited me.  She told me it’s a really good workout but I didn’t care about the exercise part of zumba as I was there for the girls.  I figured that if there was a class of 30 girls and I was the only guy I could easily hook up with one of them!  I checked with my friend whether any Asian girls attended the class and she said ‘yes.’  ‘Excellent’ I thought, this is going to be so easy!

I arrived at the class and there was only one Asian girl there.  I played it cool as I didn’t want her to think I was hitting on her (even thought it was my overall goal) so spoke to her friends first.  Eventually I got round to introducing myself to her and we exchanged pleasantries.  Her name’s Preeti and this was her first Zumba class.

“My friends have dragged me here tonight as I’m only in town this week for a work conference,” Preeti told me in a west midlands accent.

“Where are you from?”

“I live and work in Birmingham-” before she could finish the instructor switched on the rumba-latin music to begin the class.

The class was energetic and intense, and the salsa and hip-hop moves made me use muscles I never knew I had!  I took every opportunity to flex and stretch my muscles and jig my hips to impress the class and show-off.  I don’t know if the girls were turned on but I certainly felt good about myself.  I was the king of the jungle!

Sixty minutes of exhilarating, intense and really fun zumba dancing and exercise came to an end.

“Wow, I loved that!” I told Preeti afterwards, “I could go on for another hour!”

“I’m knackered,” Preeti replied as she dived for her bag to grab her water bottle.

Her friends came over and we all picked up our gear to leave the dance hall.  It was difficult for me to get Preeti on her own as I wanted to chat and get to know her.

“What are your plans this evening?” I asked.

“My friends are taking me out for dinner tonight.”

“When are you going back up to Birmingham?”

“Saturday night, why?”

At which point her two friends turned and gave me the look: the ‘we know what you’re up to’ look.  I didn’t care thought.  Preeti’s an attractive girl, is 5’6” and from first impressions she seems like a nice person and I wanted to know more about her.

“I would like to take you out before you go back?”

She looked to her friends for guidance.

“Can I have your number and you can get back to me on it,” I was getting nervous at this point.  Was I trying too hard?  She hadn’t given me any signals to say she was interested so was it a mistake to ask her out?  I was anxious for a response so I took out my phone and pointed it towards her, “do you mind giving me your number as I’d really like to see you again?”

“Ok,” she said slowly as if to suggest she wasn’t 100% sure she wanted to give it to me, “I’m out with the girls tonight but call me tomorrow.”

I was relived.  We had exchanged numbers and there was a potential date on the cards.  I didn’t want to hang around the dance studios any longer and her friends continued to give me ‘that look’ so I said goodbye to the group.

On my way home I was like a kid with the coolest new toy on the playground.  I am really happy to get Preeti’s number.  I know it’s only her number but it’s a big deal for guys as it means the girl’s interested, right?

I’m going to call her tomorrow and try and see her before she goes home.  I was beaming on my way home and can’t wait for tomorrow to come round.

No comments:

Post a Comment