Monday 30 April 2012

The airhostess


I met Amrita, 28, an air stewardess from Ealing, West London, this weekend.  She’s one of the girls I met at speed dating last week.  I must admit, I don’t remember anything she said at the event or what she even looked like but I did meet 25 different girls that night.  I phoned her Friday night and we decided to go out for a meal on Saturday as she was due to fly out for work on Monday so this was her only free time for a few days.

I arrived at Ealing station at 5.50pm – we were due to meet at 6pm but I always arrive early as I don’t like to keep a girl waiting.  I am a traditional gent in that I am always punctual, will walk on the road side of the pavement and pay the bill, for example.  I don’t mind if a girl is late for a date, in fact, I think it’s expected, so girls: keep the guy waiting for 5-10 minutes; it’s a good patience and stress test for him!

She arrived just after 6pm and as she walked towards me, I recognised her face but I was shocked at what she was wearing.  I started to have flash backs of the speed dating event and I recalled her face and her wearing a nice blouse and trouser combination and looked fairly attractive that night.  Today, however, was totally different.  She looked like a typical Asian ‘rude’ girl.  Her hair was pleated to one side, she wore white tracksuit bottoms, a plain black top, with a denim overcoat.  I was wearing dark blue jeans and a red jumper – a safe and casual outfit for a night out.  She looked like she had just been released from spending the night in a prison cell!

Amrita had decided we would go to Pizza Express and on our way I asked her what she had been doing all day which might explain why she had decided not to make an effort for our date.  “I’ve been chilling at home and watched a Bollywood film.”  So, basically she had been dossing around and couldn’t be bothered to make any effort whatsoever for our date – poor effort.  I’m not superficial but during the courting period I think it’s nice that each person make an effort to impress the other half – unless Amrita is actually looking to date someone on benefits and a criminal record which may explain the ‘rude’ girl look.

Things didn’t improve during the meal.  She was very monotone and boring.  I would ask her questions about the travel industry she worked in, her holiday, what her colleagues are like and joked about stories of pilots and cabin crew making out during journeys, but she wouldn’t make any comments or add to the conversation.  She didn’t have any hobbies or interests outside of her job and seeing her friends.  I would bring up something that was in the news that week like the phone hacking scandal; the latest episodes of the Apprentice and Britain’s Got Talent; and even the supposed rumours of Prince Harry dating Mollie from the Saturdays, but she still didn’t have anything of interest to say about them!  There were a lot of looong periods of uncomfortable silences during the meal.  I gave up on making any new forms of conversation with her after 10-15 minutes but she did come out with some bizarre sayings:

“My ex loved pizza and we used to come here regularly.”   Why would she take me to a venue where her and her ex would go to often?  Was she hoping to bump into him tonight?  I had to brace myself for potential drama.

“Can I take your picture?”  Creepy!  I politely said ‘no.’  Is she a psycho girl who would put my photo on a wall and stalk me – ick!

“Are you scared of the dark?”  The question on its once isn’t weird but as it came after her asking to take my photo I had images in my head of being gagged and put in a bag on my way home by her and her ‘rude-crew’!  I was carefully watching how she cut the pizza with the knife at this point.

As I bought a slice of pizza to my mouth she said in a mesmerising tone “You remind me of my uncle.” ‘What the duck!’ I thought to myself.  I wanted to jump through the glass window of the restaurant and dash home!  Why would a girl say that and what did she mean by it?  That was the final nail in this date-coffin.

When we finished our meal and left the restaurant, she asked if I wanted her to walk me back to the station.  Based on what she asked and the way she behaved I declined the offer and made my own way.  This was the most peculiar of dates.  Why would someone not make the effort to dress up if you’re looking to meet a potential partner?  How could you not have interesting to say?  She didn’t even think to ask about my holidays, what programs or films I like, what music I like or gigs I’ve been to.  Why would she come out with the most random of things to talk about?  I felt uncomfortable and was relieved to say goodbye and delete her number from my phone on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment