Saturday 5 May 2012

Morning date in Mayfair


I arrived at the Marriot hotel where Preeti was staying at 9.40 and waited for her in the lobby.  I started to read a copy of The Telegraph which was on the table as I waited for her.  Twenty minutes flew by quickly and I was engrossed in a thought-provoking article on the impact of global warming on plants (yes, I know it’s nerdy but I find it interesting) that I hadn’t noticed Preeti was standing in front of me waiting.

“Are you going to take me out or can I go back to bed?” She asked sarcastically.

“Oh sorry,” I hurriedly folded the paper away and was slightly embarrassed that I hadn’t noticed her, “Of course I’m going to take you out!”  I gave her a hug and she smelt like freshly cut flowers, and she looked equally lovely in her blue floral top, jeggings and shoes.

“C’mon, lets go,” I led her out of the hotel and we walked through the back streets of Mayfair, admiring the window displays of the art and antique shops.  I love history and learning about different cultures and traditions but she didn’t share my passion.  Once we reached Bond Street that all changed as she was in heaven as she admired Dior, Gucci, Ralph Lauren and other up-market designer brands.

“I love fashion and shopping!”  She was very animated, “Lets go inside Mulberry and have a look at their bags!”

“I’d rather not.”  A girl wouldn’t expect a guy to take her to the football on a first date so why suggest handbag shopping?  “Lets grab a drink.”  I took her hand and led her away from the Mulberry shop.  I began to think that if Preeti and I did become a couple I would need to get a mortgage just to fund her shopping habits.

We made our way to a nice bar on Mount Street, ordered a couple of drinks and chatted away.  We spoke about university life and it turns out the management book I’m currently reading was written by one of her former professors.  She enjoys her work in corporate finance which was nice to hear – you spend so much of your day at your place of work it’s important to enjoy what you do; there’s nothing worse than hearing someone moan about their work and continue doing it.

We spoke passionately about our love for food and experimenting with different recipes and exploring new and different eateries.

“I love making sweets and cakes for my sisters and friends,” she said.

“Wow, so next time we meet up you’ll bring me a cupcake?”

She smiled, “Maybe if you play your cards right.”

“I’m good at card games.”

“Yeah, which games do you like?”

“How about we go back to your hotel and I’ll show you my favourite?”

We laughed and then she said, “You’re bad.”

“Am I?”  I said giving her a longing look.

She sipped on her drink, “I admired your confidence to ask me out in front of my friends at the zumba class-” and then her phone buzzed.  “It’s one of my friends.  There taking me out before I head back home.  Sorry about this.  I’ve really enjoyed myself but I have to go.”

“No problem,” of course I was naturally gutted.  We shared a good couple of hours together and it was a shame to cut it short.

I walked her back to the hotel, “Thanks for a nice time, hopefully talk to you soon?” She asked

“Sure,” I said with a teasing smile.  It was a simple date and we enjoyed each other’s company.

Preeti’s a smart and friendly girl, and from her dress scene and eye for fashion, she’s very stylish too.  Hopefully there will be a second date…

No comments:

Post a Comment