Saturday 21 April 2012

Little Miss Chatterbox


I went on a date with Kush, 28, today.  I saw her profile on an Asian dating site and she describes herself as ‘shy and ambitious,’ ‘always up for trying new things’ and is ‘starting my own fashion business’.  Sounds good.  She is 5’4” and a size 8.  Sounds even better!  The size of a girl isn’t a deal breaker for me; but I wouldn’t want a girl too tall as I know how girls love to wear heels and I don’t want a girl to tower over me when I take her out.  I wouldn’t want her to feel like she has to restrict her shoe collection!  Standing at 5’8” or 5’9” (I don’t know my exact height, I need to get the tape measure out) I don’t want a girl smaller than 5’4” so Kush just meets the height benchmark.

We’d spoken a couple of times on the phone and we chatted about the standard stuff i.e. “what does your family do?” “What are you looking for in boy/girl friend?”  “When do you want to get married?”  This was my first date in a long time so I didn’t have high expectations.  A part of me was excited at meeting her as she sounded like an extrovert which I like.

We met at Borough Market and she gave me an auntie hug (that’s a side hug) which I found peculiar.  “I don’t like touching and getting too close to people,” she said which I found strange.  Why didn’t she tell me this over the phone so I didn’t look stupid as I went in for the bear hug?  Is there a form of hug-etiquette when you meet someone for the first time?  When I meet girl friends for dinner or introduced to a girl at a bar, I always give her a continental kiss on the cheeks or a regular hug.  An auntie hug I reserve for the Gurudwara, as the name suggests, for my aunties.  Each to their own.

We went for a walk around Borough Market which is really nice and there were lots of nice food stalls.  I asked Kush “Hey look, this place is selling kangaroo and shark burgers, lets give these a try.”  “Errr, no way! That’s disgusting!”  I guess you’re not as opened minded as you state on your profile.  She suggested we go to Wagamama’s instead so off we went…

…and we arrived and this quite ordinary date changed.  I have never seen anyone get so excited about an restaurant before, and this is a regular highstreet Japanese eatery.  “I love Wagamama’s!  I know what I’m having, what are you going to eat?” A very excited Kush asked.  I had never seen her so animated.  “Err, I don’t know, I’ve not seen the menu yet.”  I’ve had Japanese food before but that was at Nobu which is a lot more high class than Wagamama’s; the menu here looked dull.  “I’ll choose for you!”  So Kush ordered my food and her own.  I didn’t have any questions planned and was going with the flow, but the flow with Kush was all one way traffic.  As quickly as she ordered our food had she got out her phone and started showing me ALL her iPhone snaps.  “Here’s a photo of me dressed as a cat for a fancy dress party… and here’s a picture of my brother… and here’s a photo of vegetables from our garden…”  It didn’t stop when our food arrived.  She then started telling me her life story, what she did at school, her holidays, nights out with her cousins, to name but a few.  I couldn’t get a word in!  I wasn’t expecting my first date in my search for “Mrs Right” to be sat in a restaurant, eating Japenese food which tasted like cupboard whilst hearing someone talk about her experiences as head-girl at Sixth Form, how much she loves Wagamama’s (she really needs to go out and try better Japanese food) or how she struggled to fit into her trousers whilst getting dressed this morning!

I had finished my food well before she did and I promptly asked for the bill as her last mouthful went into her mouth.  We walked back to London Bridge station.  “I had a really good time,” Kush said which surprised me.  “Thanks, I’ll be in touch.”  I responded – I didn’t enjoy myself, I thought to myself.  We gave each other an auntie hug and parted to get our respective trains.  Kush is a nice girl and I’m sure she will do well with her own business but she needs to shut her mouth and converse with her date!  I won’t be contacting her any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment